View My Stats

Sunday, October 30, 2011

"Ask the Judge" Column continues in La Prensa, 10-30



Ask the Judge: The Judge Judy Court, part 2.
By Judge Steve Walker

Last week I informed the reader how one qualifies for the Judge Judy Show from Justice of the Peace Court Small Claims docket, since all her high profile cases along with Judge Mathis and Judge Alex and other syndicated “People’s Court” personalities end up on their reality shows.

I will remind readers that this column pointed out how all those nationally syndicated television shows all have producers who periodically come in our court and quietly peruse pending files of cases that are scheduled to be heard by me or the other Judge in Precinct 2.

I also let the reader know that the visiting producers would pick what they believed to be a visually provocative case to spotlight good reality show material and then contact the plaintiffs and defendants in those cases to see if they would agree to appear on the show. When both sides agreed, the cases were forwarded to the specific show that requested the case where the final outcome is decided.

Meanwhile back to the reality of the Justice of the Peace Court where thousands of those cases are heard on a daily basis by JPs all over the country.

In my court when the docket begins, I have a prepared spiel I present to those present in the court whether they are active participants in the litigation or witnesses or spectators. Setting the ground rules early at the beginning makes the process much easier and the cases progress much faster.

It goes like this. ‘Ladies and Gentlemen may I remind you I am NOT Judge Judy. I do not wear a doily around my neck and I can’t call you stupid, an idiot, tell you to shut up or in any way be disrespectful to you.”

“On the other hand, you may not call the other side a liar, cheat, thief, and talk about the other person’s mama!”

“The plaintiff must prove their case based on paperwork such as leases, contracts, receipts, photos or the like. An oral agreement is only good when both agree on those oral terms. If you act like a third grader, I will cite you for contempt and you could spend three days in jail. It is the plaintiff’s responsibility to prove the case. Do I make myself clear?”

Our case begins and eventually a decision is rendered and the next case is heard in an orderly manner.

As I pointed out last week, as a sitting judge I am limited in how I conduct myself in court. I must conduct myself in a judicial manner unlike the television judges. If I don’t, I will be reprimanded, sanctioned or removed from the bench. Not a good career move.

“Lastly as always, if you are due in court, be sure to show up to court on time. It is in everyone’s best interest.”

Justice of the Peace, Pct. 2 Steve Walker is a Vietnam Veteran and a former Journalist.

No comments: