View My Stats

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Remembrances of Jimmy Parks by Gabe Quintanilla


By Gabe Quintanilla

There are thousands of Jimmy Parks (phto) ostories out there among judges, lawyers, clients--you name it. We all have our own tales of Jimmy Parks' warmth and generosity. This is one of mine.

Several years ago, I had a client from hell. After a short time, it was apparent that I needed to end our attorney-client relationship. What complicated the matter was the fact that this was a very demanding client-...-the proverbial pain in the butt.

Rather than just filing a motion to withdraw, I felt it would be better if there was someone who would step into the case--someone who could handle a difficult client--someone with the experience and personality who knew what to do in tough cases.

The only person that I could think of was Jimmy. I hesitated to call him at the outset-I hated to burden him with this client. But after a while, it became apparent--it would be better for both the client and myself for our attorney-client relationship to end.

I called up Jimmy one afternoon--and I guess I stammered for a bit--I was hesitant to impose on him--and he could sense that.

Jimmy cracked a little joke to make me feel better and asked me what was his name. I told him. He said--okay--tell him to contact me today--I want to sit down with him.

I was so relieved and told Jimmy that I would pay him all of the fees that I had already collected and would also pay his balance--whatever it took.

Jimmy listened and just said--look--let me see what I can do. The guy may not even like me. Don't worry about the fees stuff Gabe.

Jimmy took the guy's case and resolved it. I called him many times to see what the guy's balance was. Finally, I just sent him a check.

I bumped into Jimmy at the courthouse a few days after I had sent the check and told him that I had sent it to him. Jimmy smiled and nodded.

Jimmy never cashed the check--he sent it back to me with a note--"you're my friend--paid in full."

When people ask me about Jimmy Parks--about what kind of man he was--I usually have to ask them--how much time do you have?

I can guarantee you--there are thousands of people all over the nation with Jimmy Parks stories.

When Jimmy began broadcasting with Chris Duel, I used to listen to him and laugh like crazy--he had such a down to earth manner--with a unique brand of humor. Jimmy could teach a course to young lawyers--to become a better lawyer--become a better human being, first.

No comments: