View My Stats

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Message from State Rep. Mike Villarreal


State Rep. Mike Villarreal with Balcones Heights Councilman Steve Walker, shortly before the Speaker's vote (photo)

By State Rep. Mike Villarreal

Speaker's Battle Over: Fight for Our Values Continues January 10, 2007
Villarreal Continues to Work for Change in Texas House

The 80th Session of the Texas Legislature began yesterday with high hopes that this would be a season for change. I have been troubled by many of the decisions made in the Legislature in recent years, including the cuts to the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), mid-decade redistricting, tax policies that favor the wealthy while undermining schools, and many other policies.

That's why I joined with most of my fellow Democrats, along with a handful of Republicans, in pledging my support to Representative Jim Pitts in his campaign to replace Tom Craddick as House Speaker.

I was proud to cast my vote for change yesterday, as one of the 68 Representatives who supported the Geren amendment to revise the process for electing the Speaker. Rep. Pitts and the Democratic leadership considered the amendment the key vote for challenging the Speaker, and Rep. Pitts withdrew his candidacy after the amendment failed.

As the only remaining candidate, Speaker Craddick was quickly re-elected to his leadership position. While I am disappointed with the outcome, I still believe that this can - and must - be a season for change.

You can count on me to continue fighting for better schools, fair taxes, a clean environment, and a government that empowers and listens to all citizens.

- Representative Mike Villarreal

No comments: