View My Stats

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

San Antonio City Council to cast critical votes over next three weeks

Greetings neighbors:

Over the next three weeks, City Council will cast critical votes on items that will impact San Antonio's long term community health: a settlement of the police union collective bargaining contract this week, an aggressive annexation program next week and the FY2017 budget on September 15.

As we consider all of these issues, I encourage you to make your voice heard by sending me an e-mail, calling our office or attending any of the public meetings. During each of these votes, I will be asking the same three questions I ask for every issue:
  1. Is it fiscally responsible?
  2. Is it fair and ethical?
  3. Have we done our homework?
On Thursday, I will be voting against the police union settlement because it fails the fiscal responsibility test.

Two years ago, I joined my Council colleagues in outlining an acceptable resolution to the collective bargaining agreement — one that would help us stay within our budget while providing the kind of benefits and accountability that our public safety and residents  deserve.  

Chiefly, we sought a contract that would keep costs from further climbing past 66 percent of the general fund budget, while significantly reducing the 'evergreen clause' that hindered active bargaining and achieving a fair share of health care costs. Mayor Taylor's deal accomplishes none of that, exceeding our established budget guidelines by year four of the contract. By year five, we are $20 million over budget.

That's a fact.

This isn't a good deal for citizens or law enforcement. In wanting a better vision for San Antonio, I'll be opposing this agreement. 

Thank you for the privilege of serving you
,

No comments: