View My Stats

Sunday, August 09, 2015

"Just a Thought" Column continues in La Prensa of SA, 8-9

Just a Thought: Cesar Chavez interview
By Steve Walker

Every year in March in San Antonio, Cesar Chavez supporters from all walks of life and economic Backgrounds line up to march down Cesar Chavez Boulevard to honor the late civil rights leader and activist who died in 1993.

Elected officials, dignitaries, former migrant workers and everyday
people, swarm to the Avenida Guadalupe area to pay homage to their hero, Cesar Chavez. Speakers pay tribute and share personal stories of the late civil rights leader with the crowd before everyone lines up for the march. The crowd swells to celebrate the life and contributions of the life of Cesar Chavez.

As one who has actively participated along with thousands of other supporters over the years, I began chronicling the event in photos in 2007.

I have covered various Grand Marshals such as Paul Chavez, Cesar’s brother, Dolores Huerta, his long-time companion, and Arturo Rodriguez, his son-in-law, who has served twice in the past.

Every year I post the photos on the Walker Report for all to view. One of my cherished memories of Cesar Chavez, whom I met in 1982, was the interview I had with him while a reporter for KENS-5.

My most striking memory of Cesar Chavez was his calm demeanor. He spoke softly, respectfully and articulately. He never raised his voice. He reminded me of Gandhi. To this day I can’t recollect how I was so fortunate to even get the interview over other seasoned reporters.

I was a weekend reporter who also filled in for vacationing reporters for a period of about three months. Whether I interviewed him on a weekend or during one of those stints during the week for others is still a blur.

However, I vividly recall asking him questions on his mission to protect the farm workers. He spoke about the discrimination against field workers who were taken advantage of in the fields, the long hours of grueling work and low compensation.

As one who taught migrant worker’s children in the late 70s with the Southside ISD, I was acutely aware of what he was saying. Having also worked on a kibbutz in Israel for one week in 1972 gave me a taste what it was like to work in the fields picking apples and tomatoes.

It was back-breaking work to say the least. Anyone who tells you it is not hard work has never spent time picking in the fields. I shared my experience with him during the interview. His response to me was, “Welcome to my world!”

In the 90s I walked a number of picket lines in solidarity with my friend Jaime Martinez, who was instrumental in securing the naming of Cesar Chavez Boulevard and keeping the name of Cesar Chavez alive in San Antonio. By then not much had changed. To all of those who never met Cesar Chavez, you missed meeting a great icon and a man of the people. Si Se Puede!

As always, I write “Just a Thought.”

Steve Walker is a Vietnam Veteran, former journalist and Justice of the Peace.

No comments: