View My Stats

Sunday, July 14, 2013

"Just a Thought" Column continues in La Prensa of SA, 7-14

Just a Thought: “Lightning strikes twice”
By Steve Walker

Many times we have we heard the old adage, ‘Lightning doesn’t strike in the same place.” From personal experience I tend to disagree.

Let’s use a similar analogy then involving the same occurrence happening to the same person twice 38 years and one week apart.  

Some might even call it “déjà vu” all over again. Well I can attest to an incident happening to me, August 11th in 1970 in Phu Bai Vietnam that literally struck me like lightning and again (déjà vu) reoccurred August 15th, 2008 in San Antonio. The similarities were remarkable.

Both incidents included at least one two & a half ton truck and me as a major player in the two similar accidents involving them. During the second occurrence, I momentarily experienced a flashback to my first encounter with the two & a half ton truck driven by our adversaries the Viet Cong. I was riding in the passenger seat armed with my M-16 as my buddy drove our two and a half ton truck back to Phu Bai from Hue the capitol city of the northern area of South Vietnam. We were transporting nationals to work on our compound that included hootch maids, mess hall workers and various other jobs.

The second accident involved a driver from a construction company who was waiting for a green light at the intersection of Babcock & Wilson to turn right. I had just almost cleared the intersection when the driver of the truck abruptly turned into me thus spinning my car around forcing me to the curb with oncoming traffic coming quickly toward me. My adrenalin soared as I thought I would survive the truck hit but would die by multiple cars crashing into me as an encore.

Crawling out of my car which was later declared totaled, I made my way to the curb after staggering around and looking at what was left of my vehicle. I will admit I was somewhat disoriented at the time. When I arrived at the hospital emergency room they checked me out, took some tests and discharged me with a headache and a few bruises. In my stupor as I crawled out of my car I grabbed my camera which was always with me and actually took photos of what was left of my car and the immediate surroundings.

In my first accident I was thrown forward into the windshield and hit my forehead on the medal windshield wiper. Fortunately it threw me up and not straight forward. That was a blessing for it would have done severe damage to my face.

Having survived being hit by one truck got my attention. Surviving two hits by a two & a half ton truck, I consider myself very blessed. I remember saying out loud to the Lord the second time, “If you are trying to get my attention and tell me something, could you use some other less painful way to do it?”

I figure if He decides to hit me again with a two & a half ton truck 38 years from now I will be a hundred year old. I figure that will be His way in welcoming me home!

Anyway, as always, what I write is “Just a Thought.”

Steve Walker is a Vietnam Veteran and former Justice of the Peace and Journalist.

No comments: