View My Stats

Sunday, July 22, 2012

"Ask the Judge" Column continues in La Prensa SA, 7-22

Ask the Judge: Another Judge Judy moment!
By Judge Steve Walker

Last week “Ask the Judge” informed you about little “Jayzee” the five year old Pre-K student who stood in front of the bench crossing her arms and blurting out, “I graduated from Pre-K yesterday and I have a diploma, and I can prove it!” Indeed an inspiring success story to say the least. A day I won’t forget.

Some time back I related the story about the woman who received a traffic ticket and asked that it be dismissed on a medical excuse. (Which we can do if legitimate) Her excuse was she was driving while dizzy! Needless to say she did not get her ticket dismissed on those grounds after she admitted speeding five miles over the speed limit. Careful what you admit to when you are in a courtroom setting.

In Pct. 2 Justice of the Peace Court we have many scenarios over time that occur in the court that either makes you say, “huh?” or “what the?”

With that in mind, “Ask the Judge” has another interesting story to relate that occurred in Pct. 2 Justice of the Peace Court last year.

Two attorneys come into court and immediately engage in a heated discussion over some information that was to be presented to the court by one of the lawyers. In an excited moment the opposing lawyer grabbed the other attorney’s file that was lying on the bench.

He began waving the file in front of the other attorney’s face. Not a good thing to do. Protocol prohibits the opposing attorney from handling the other attorney’s file unless the first attorney hands it to him or her. Before we knew it, the offended attorney made a fist and drew back and threatened to strike the other attorney.

Without thinking and reverting to my classroom days as an elementary teacher, I responded, “Time Out, you guys are not 3rd graders, but officers of the law, and you (pointing to the one who grabbed the file) give him his file back and you (the aggressive attorney) don’t hit him!!” Sound like an elementary squabble?

I have always maintained since I became a Judge that the only difference between third graders and my Judge Judy Court (Small Claims) is that I am able to have adult conversations with third graders!

It is never dull in my Small Claims Court. As an aside, the two attorneys’ did apologize and shake hands before leaving the court, before I cited them for contempt for behaving unprofessionally.

Lastly as always, if you are due in court, be sure to show up to court on time. It is in everyone’s best interest.

Justice of the Peace, Pct. 2 Steve Walker is a Vietnam Veteran and a former Journalist.

No comments: