View My Stats

Sunday, May 26, 2013

"Just a Thought" column continues in La Prensa of SA, 5-26


Just a Thought: Former Congressman Charlie Gonzalez
By Steve Walker

For the past five weeks I have been writing about Hispanic icons from San Antonio and other places I have personally encountered over the years including former Mexico’s President Vicente Fox, Cesar Chavez former Mayor Henry Cisneros, Senator Leticia van de Putte and former Senator Joe Bernal.

This week’s column is about newly retired Congressman Charlie Gonzalez. I met the Congressman under less than ideal circumstances. It was the year that his father Congressman Henry B. Gonzalez retired leaving an open seat for Congressional District 20.

Along with five other candidates who aspired to fill the gap left by Congressman Gonzalez, we all believed we would be the candidate to follow his legacy. Just before the filing deadline, Charlie Gonzalez announced he would attempt to continue his father’s legacy and be the next Congressman from District 20.

We were all devastated. The already filed candidates included: former Councilman Walter Martinez, former Councilwoman Maria Berriozabal, and former State Rep. Christine Hernandez, Dr. Richard Garcia, Lawyer Armando Falcon, and me.

It was an interesting and lively race to be sure. We attended many debates and events over the grueling campaign. For most of us it was a very respectful race and no personal attacks. I am still friends with former Council members Maria Berriozabal and Walter Martinez. Both have supported me in my political career as well.

On one occasion the candidates were being interviewed by Univision in their studios in Spanish. For most of us we had ear plugs to listen to the translation of the question before we answered in English and then re-translated.
 
The Congressman sat next to me. Normally the moderator (La Prensa’s Publisher Tino Duran) would read one question and we heard the translation and when they went around the table, each of us would respond. Unfortunately on one question, by the time they got to me they changed the question and I heard no translation so I answered the same question everybody else answered.

Everyone looked at me funny. Charlie leaned over after it was over, smiled and told me I answered the wrong question. When he told me what the question was I was really embarrassed even though no fault of my own, but it was still the wrong answer!

What I admired about Charlie then and now was his easy going personality, quick wit and charming demeanor. Although he won the race, he did not lord it over us. He was extremely gracious to all of us. In fact we have been friends since then. He endorsed me twice in my run for Judge and contributed to my campaign and even wrote a recommendation for a possible political appointment down the road.

Now that he is home and in the private sector I see him and his wife, Linda at most events I attend when I am shooting photos of those events for my photo blog, walkerreport.net. He has been recently honored by the Mexican American Unity Council; (MAUC) served as Grand Marshal of the Fiesta Parade, 2013 as well as crowned King Anchovy. As a high ranking official at VIA, he continues to make a huge difference in the lives of local San Antonio residents.

I look forward to our continued friendship as he has also made a huge difference in my life.

Anyway, as always, what I write is “Just a Thought.”

Steve Walker is a Vietnam Veteran and former Justice of the Peace and Journalist. His column “Ask the Judge” column ran in La Prensa for the last two years.

No comments: