View My Stats

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Judge Mary Roman to run following ad in La Prensa Newspaper


Mary Roman (photo)
District Court 175th

Thank you for the many telephone calls and words of encouragement. The following ad will appear in La Prensa newspaper on Sunday. As you know, I have an opponent in the Democratic primary. The ad is an attempt to explain the Only issue in this campaign.

One case does not define my 15 years as Judge of the 175th District Court and I hope that the following message helps you understand the issue. This legal issue is not easy to explain and doesn't lend itself to a nice "soundbite." If you have any questions, please call me: 210 326-5055. Thank you for your frienship and support!

Judge Mary Roman
To the Voters of Bexar County
... The Facts

When you elected me Judge of the 175th District Court, I took a sacred oath to protect you and all citizens of this community. For the last 15 years I have upheld that oath. Every person who comes to the court is treated with respect and dignity without regard to his or her circumstances. I strive always to safeguard the rights of the accused as well as victims of crime.

My opponent criticizes my work in one murder case out of 15 years of public service. He misrepresents and distorts the facts. In this case, the jury found that the Defendant helped two men kidnap, rape and murder a woman. The men, in two separate previous trials were found guilty and given the death penalty. The third defendant was found guilty and given life imprisonment by a jury.

The 4th Court of Appeals reviews my work and the Court of Criminal Appeals (CCA) reviews the work of the 4th Court. The third defendant's trial is on appeal. In other words, a final resolution of this case is pending. In five other cases, the CCA has told the 4th Court that Judge Roman is correct. Many people with legal knowledge of the true facts of this case expect that the CCA will again tell the 4th Court that Judge Roman is correct and that no impropriety occurred.

My opponent has been a defense attorney for 15 years. During those 15 years he has tried two district court cases before a jury in Bexar County. He usually disposes of his cases through the plea bargaining process rather than going to trial. If he does not seek justice for his clients, will he seek justice for this community?

As a public servant, I humbly ask for your support and vote in the upcoming election based on my proven track record of 15 years of impartiality, fairness, justice and integrity. Together, we can continue to make our community safe for our families and loved ones.

Judge Mary Roman
175th District Court Judge
www.judgemaryroman.com

No comments: