View My Stats

Friday, August 11, 2006

Mini-commentary on local Democrats


Le Lowry (photo)

By Le Lowry
LeLowry.com


Some of my more independent minded friends occasionally ask why I put up with the headaches of being a Democrat, especially since they see a friend who gets more frustrated with the party process on a regular basis.

I have to wonder too myself sometimes, considering the state of my health after attending most any Democratic meeting.

In situations like this I turn to an old Buddhist saying, "Buddhist monk asks Hot Dog Vendor for change, Hot Dog Vendor says, 'Change only happens from within.'"

To change the political landscape one must work hard within the existing system. That system happens to be a two party system, so since I am Liberal, I am a Democrat.

Working within that system, I will probably end up in some mental institution from the headaches and frustrations, but that is what I do for my friends.

Editor's note: I agree with Le that one has to work hard within the system for change and I am Conservative.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Le and all,

I share your frustations with the Party Process and progress thus far.

I believe that all of our troubles at this point result from a lack of knowledge on the part of many of us of the law and rules which political parties are required to follow in Texas. The Election Code and The Rules of the Texas Democratic Party prescribe that the SDEC and CECs be deliberative bodies, that we carefully consider the facts and make our decisions in an orderly manner. Robert's Rules of Order is our parliamentary authority for the conduct of our meetings. To be able to function under those procedures, one must have a working knowledge of them. The chair, especially, must know those procedures well enough to handle most situations likely to arise in meetings such as ours. The chair should have a competent parliamentarian present to advise in unusual situations.

But we members ourselves are ultimately responsible for the outcome of our meetings. We cannot allow the lack of skill of one person to prevent us from fulfilling our responsibilities to our constituents.

We have many problems and few resources. This means that there will be deeply felt differences of opinion on how we expend those resources. Parliamentary procedures have been developed over the centuries to address this problem. I don't believe we can have democracy with out such procedures.

If we follow our rules in the conduct of our business, I predict that we will seen an immediate and huge improvement in our meetings and, thereby, in our ability to get our Party organized.

I am calling for those who wish to better understand our rules to get together and read and discuss them. Call me at 824 1329 or email at johnmc@stic.net if you are interested

Anonymous said...

We have a committee that meets just for that reason---we study
both state law and party rules and
how they effect our local party and
how we go about our business---you don't have to have another group to do the same---just attend the rules and bylaws committee-------

Anonymous said...

For those Christian Conservatives out there who berate those of us who strive to be "liberal," these words from Isaiah, Chapter 32, verses 5-8 which state:

5 The vile person shall be no more called liberal, nor the churl said to be bountiful.
6 For the vile person will speak villany, and his heart will work iniquity, to practise hypocrisy, and to utter error against the LORD, to make empty the soul of the hungry, and he will cause the drink of the thirsty to fail.
7 The instruments also of the churl are evil: he deviseth wicked devices to destroy the poor with lying words, even when the needy speaketh right.
8 But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."