View My Stats

Sunday, October 11, 2015

"Just a Thought" Column continues in La Prensa of SA, 10-11

Just a Thought: “A man of your age”
By Steve Walker

Recently I found myself pondering a phrase that has been used to describe me on more occasions than I would like. And I am not really handling well the thoughts it evokes. This almost despised phrase starts out with, “for a man of your age,” then goes into all sorts of interesting details. Have you been referred to as “a person of your age” before? What was your reaction?

This saying brings to mind things like, “I’m getting old or older” and reminds me I am not the young viral man that lives in my head with my face attached to it. What a shock to my system!  Thank God I use Oil of Olay on my face to keep it soft so I don’t appear to be ”a man of my age!”

While celebrating my 69th birthday September 5th of this year, I found myself being rushed into the emergency room of a local hospital after visiting a med clinic near my home. At the clinic the doctor on call checked me out, since I was experiencing chest pains. He then directed me immediately to the hospital for further investigation for fear I was having a heart attack for “a man of my age.”

At the hospital they admitted me and administered a CAT scan, chest x-rays, an EKG and blood work.  I remember joking with the attendant who administered the CAT scan if he was able to locate my brain. He smiled good-naturedly answering, “You have one but I can’t attest to how well it is working.”

We laughed and I also shared that it was my birthday as well. He wished me happy birthday and told me I was only the second patient he encountered that arrived on their birthday. I inquired how the other person fared and his response was, “sure you want to know?” Made my day for a “man of my age.”

Eventually I was cleared, released and instructed to contact a cardiologist. I did and was happily given a clean bill of health for “a man of your age.”

In sharing my story with older friends I discovered many others have been referred to by doctors as a “person of your age,” when dealing with health problems that occur with more frequency than as a younger person. Since I have experienced extremely good health for most of my life, being “a man of my age,” has changed all that.

Looking back on my 69 years, my life has been interesting and exciting to say the least. Hope it has been for the mature readers as well.

I would point out that Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are literally “men of my age,” as well as former HUD Secretary Henry Cisneros. I have travelled to 26 counties and four continents. From floating down the Nile on my 34th birthday, to attending the running of the bulls in 1973 in Pamplona, Spain, up until now it has been a great life.

I shook hands with then 94-year-old comedian Bob Hope in Hawaii or the 50 anniversary of the Second World War in 1995. He lived to be 100. Having met President Barack Obama three times in San Antonio before he became President to include a hand shake is another memory of “a man of my age.” I have written about these experiences for my column for the Sunday edition of La Prensa.

Readers who have read my column for nearly five years know my encounter and interview with activist Cesar Chavez in 1982 when I was a reporter at KENS 5. And the list goes on to include covering the former President of Mexico Vicente Fox.

Serving as a Justice of the Peace for four years without attending law school or practicing law is an awesome experience for “a man of my age,” as well. As “a man of my age,” I hope I will be around for another chance to experience that again.

To all the readers in a high age range like myself who are experiencing being “a person of your age,” hang in there so we can continue to be a man or woman of age for a long time to come. Here is looking to reaching the age of 100 when we will really be “a person of our age!” It certainly beats the alternative.

 Anyway, as always, what I write is “Just a Thought.”

Steve Walker is a Vietnam Veteran, former Judge and Journalist. 

No comments: