View My Stats

Sunday, May 31, 2015

"Just a Thought" Column continues in La Prensa of SA, 5-31

Just a Thought: Well-known Hispanics from SA
By Steve Walker

San Antonio is the home town of numerous Hispanic leaders and icons whose major contributions have made our city a better place to live as well as the nation over the years. In past columns I have written about a number of them to include familiar names such as union activist for the United International Farm Workers (UIFW) Jaime Martinez.

One of his higher profile accomplishments was successfully lobbying city council for over a decade in renaming Durango Boulevard to Cesar Chavez Boulevard after the founder and president of the UIFW. His diligence along with Chavez worked to ensure that union’s basic human rights are not forgotten or abused by the system to earn a decent wage to support their families.

Another familiar Hispanic icon I have written about is Mayor Henry Cisneros who set the tone in the early 80s by becoming the first Hispanic Mayor of San Antonio since 1842 and later HUD Secretary under President Bill Clinton. Since he paved the way for other potential Hispanic Mayors, we have since elected Ed Garza, currently serving as SAISD Board President & Julian Castro now Secretary of HUD. All contribute to the continuing success of the Alamo City.

Another local Hispanic icon I have written about in my weekly column includes international singing sensation Patsy Torres, PhD. She is also a motivational speaker encouraging young Hispanic women to follow their dream of success like she did whether it be in music, science, medicine or other fields of their choosing.

Here is a short recap of some of those Alamo City icons I wrote about to include a few I have yet to write about in detail.

Former Congressman Charlie Gonzalez. I recalled I met the Congressman under less than ideal circumstances. It was the year that his father retired leaving an open seat for Congressional District 20.

What I admired about Charlie then and now was his easy going personality, quick wit and charming demeanor. Although he won the race and served admirably for 12 years, he did not lord it over us. He was extremely gracious and we have been friends since. He endorsed me twice in my run for Judge.

Former Councilwoman Maria Berriozabal who was also in that race was another I wrote about. She is one of the classiest women I know, and I know a few. She represented District 1 as a councilwoman for many years and I believe she is far from done in making San Antonio a much better place. I hope I am there when she does it. I will keep my camera handy just in case so I can document it.

Then there is long-time activist Rosa Rosales, a well-known champion for immigration reform and Latino issues.

A beloved member of the local community she is revered by many to include myself for her willingness to stand up for the weak and disenfranchised and fight for human dignity when she sees it is being abused.

She is a Past National LULAC President having served two terms as the organization’s national spokesperson and increasing LULAC as a political force to be reckoned with nationally.

A woman who doesn’t mince words, Rosa Rosales has been at the forefront along with the other nationally known icons.

Other icons I have mentioned in “Just a Thought” in passing include: Harlandale graduate and actor Jesse Borrego who starred in the movie “Blood in, Blood Out,” and a recurring part in the TV Series, “Fame.” I took photos of a movie he was filming in King William for the Cannes Film Festival. We will see more of him in the future.

Last year the San Antonio Association of Hispanic Journalists honored movie film director screenwriter, producer, editor musician Roberto Rodriguez who I mentioned in a column about the SAAHJ gala. You may remember him from the “Spy Kids” movie series.

Living in San Antonio amongst so many local Hispanic icons is exciting for me. We have a rich Hispanic heritage in San Antonio that we can be proud of with so many qualified leaders leading us into the future. I am honored that I am able to write about them from personal experience.

And as always, I write “Just a Thought.”

Steve Walker is a Vietnam Veteran, former Judge and Journalist

No comments: