View My Stats

Sunday, October 13, 2013

"Just a Thought" Column continues in La Prensa of SA, 10-13

Just a Thought: “Gotta Let Go”
By Steve Walker

Last week I alluded to one of my favorite TV shows “Touched by an Angel” and how I taped them every week off a family cable channel to view in my leisure time when I could relax and watch the numerous old re-runs. From it I mentioned that I experienced a revelation of sorts from one episode.

In that episode, a character who was slowly dying shared a list of things she ‘never got to do.” I pointed out last week that is our modern day “bucket list.”

In another episode a character lamented “if only I had done things differently.” To me that is the same as looking through the rear view mirror going through life. I know I catch myself doing it all the time. I plead guilty as charged.

But fortunately at my ripe old age of receiving Social Security and Medicare, I am starting to listen to wiser persons than me who remind me to move forward and not let past mistakes get in my way. I am reminded that I tend to, like many others, dwell on what didn’t work out in the past or whine about the people who hurt me. I am known unfortunately for whining way too much.

One of my friends says to me all the time, “Gotta Let Go!” My standard retort is always, “easy for you to say.” However I am learning that when I just slow down, take a deep breath then it is easier to start releasing what is bothering me. It may sound simple, but it is anything but.
 
As a Senior Citizen, it is easy to fall into the mindset of thinking just because I have been around a really long time doesn’t mean I can’t learn something new and change my way of not only doing things differently, but adopting a new perspective.

I have come to the conclusion that it really is feasible to “teach an old dog, new tricks!” Since I don’t mind being considered an “old dog,” I also have figured out (finally) that the future is not always based on the past although as the philosopher George Santayana is quoted as saying, “Those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.”

 Is that a revelation or what? Since I don’t want to make the same mistakes again, then it is time for me and everyone else to adhere to the words of my friend, “Gotta Let Go!”

As one who has been fortunate in his life to experience many good times I realize I need to remember to focus on the positive and continue to “seize the day.” (carpe diem)

Reiterating that my “Bucket List” is not yet full at 67 years old I will share my own sage advice by saying, “It ain’t over yet.”

Anyway, as always, what I write is “Just a Thought.”

Steve Walker is a Vietnam Veteran and former Justice of the Peace and Journalist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let go, and let God!