View My Stats

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Rene Barrientos pulls out of State Senate race


Rene Barrientos (photo)
Former State Senate candidate

Statement from Rene' Barrientos Regarding Senate District 21 Campaign


"Today, I have decided to withdraw my candidacy for State Senate District 21. I originally filed for public office because I strongly believe that our political system has been unduly influenced by special interests, that college costs have made higher education too expensive for middle class families, that teachers lack the funding and resources they need to educate our youth, and that we need universal health care.

I have no doubt that I could mount a highly credible campaign, but to succeed, my recent polling data results indicate that my success would come only through repeated and aggressive attacks on the incumbent and her record.

I do not wish to be involved in a campaign where important social and political issues take a back seat to heated, negative attacks. I just will not do it. There needs to be civility in politics and such a campaign would not be healthy or productive for this district or the Democratic Party.

The focus should rather be on the issues that can improve the lives of working families and middle class families in the 21st District.

This campaign would cost significant funds that I feel could be better used elsewhere. I intend to continue to give significant support to the Democratic National Committee, support my Democratic friends like John Edwards and Henry Cuellar and to do my part to help the Democratic party both locally and nationally."

René R. Barrientos
Copyright January 9, 2008 by Harvey Kronberg,
www.quorumreport.com, All rights are reserved

No comments: