View My Stats

Monday, May 26, 2008

T.J. Connolly says "thanks" to veterans for their service


Let me begin by wishing you a Happy Memorial Day. Most of you probably won't receive this until your return to your offices Tuesday. But I was reading an interesting fact that brought home what the true meaning of today's holiday is all about.

In our family, we were fortunate to have two, real American war heroes. My father, Patrick J. Connolly, was a gunner pilot who shot down Japanese over in Europe and later Asia. My step-father, Robert F. Lohr, was a Navy Lt. Commander.

Both men went on to win many awards and high honors. My Dad made it to the rank of Sergeant in the Air Force, my Step-Dad, to Lt. Commander in the Navy. The fact I wanted to share with you is that combined, in WWI, WWII, the Korean War, Vietnam War, Gulf War 1, the War in Afghanistan and the current War in Iraq, 1,300,000 American men and women have given their lives in the pursuit and protection of our freedoms and liberties.

Although not all the afore mentioned wars enjoy or enjoyed wide public support, the 1,300,000 service men and women who gave their lives for us didn't care about public opinion polls. They followed orders and did their duty.

Over time, society has begun to lose sight of what today means...what it truly represents. It's become much more a three-day holiday, than a moment to pause, reflect, remember and say "thank you".

I live over in Oakwell Farms, not too far from Fort Sam Huston. I was in HEB with my three kids today buying food for a cookout. While there, I ran into a service man dressed in his work fatigues. I went up to him and said "Thank you."

He looked a bit surprised, and replied "For what?" I said "For doing what I've never done, and really never would want to,"

He smiled and said, looking at my three kids in tow, "You have your hands full."

Who knows, today I probably met a true American hero.

T. J. Connolly
President & CEO

No comments: