View My Stats

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Speaker Joe Straus appoints Joaquin Castro to committee


Joaquin Castro (photo)
State Rep.

Neighbors,

I'm excited to let you know that Speaker Joe Straus has appointed me Vice Chair of the Higher Education committee in the Texas House of Reps. Our system of higher education is part of what I call the "Infrastructure of Opportunity"; just as there are streets and highways that get us where we want to go on the road, there is an Infrastructure of Opportunity that helps us get to where we want to go in life. Colleges and universities are a big part of that infrastructure.

Please know that I will work hard to lower tuition rates in Texas; increase the number of students who attend, stay and transfer to colleges and universities; and build out the Infrastructure of Opportunity in South Texas.

I look forward to convening a meeting of the San Antonio higher education community over the next month, including students, professors, administrators and taxpayers to figure out how we make our colleges and universities stronger. Please write or call me with any suggestions you have for legislation or policy changes.

As always, I look forward to working with you.

Joaquin Castro
State Representative
District 125

No comments: