View My Stats

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Former Congressman Nick Lampson endorsed by National Association of Police Officers


Nick Lampson (photo)
Candidate for Tom Delay's seat

By Nick Lampson

A handful of Republican party bosses will hold another meeting to try and choose a write-in candidate to face us in November's election. They already had one of these meetings, which was presided over by Tom DeLay himself. He may not be on the ballot, but he's not in Virginia either.

As our potential opponents prepare to plead for indicted former Congressman Tom DeLay's endorsement, I held a press conference to announce I have been endorsed by three major police organizations.

This is a good indication of the differences between my campaign and those of my potential opponents. I am proud to announce that the National Association of Police Officers, the International Union of Police Associations, and the Texas State Police Coalition have enthusiastically agreed to back my campaign. These are the first law enforcement organizations to officially support our campaign, but I assure you they will not be the last.

I also took this opportunity to unveil my latest campaign ad about my work to protect our children. The ad, featuring Galveston County Sheriff Gean Leonard, focuses on the Missing and Exploited Children's Caucus, which I was very proud to found and build into the largest bi-partisan congressional caucus on Capitol Hill.

When I left Congress, this caucus had almost equal number of Republicans and Democrats. That's the kind of effort I want to continue -- building consensus to tackle important issues. Our caucus worked to create the national Amber Alert and helped create the Customs Department's Cyber-crimes Center.

I am proud of my work to support our law enforcement agencies and to protect our children. I will continue to make these top priorities when I am in Congress. We have come a long way, but we are not there yet.

The opposition's best hope to win this race is to run a massive, nationally-funded smear campaign against me. But with your help we will be ready. As always, I thank you for your continued support and good wishes.

No comments: