View My Stats

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

"Elect Common Sense" & support former JP Walker for JP2, Pl.2

Pd. Pol. Ad to Elect Steve Walker JP2, Pl.2  Treasurer Crystal Vargas
Who is Steve Walker & why elect him
Justice of the Peace Pct. 2 Pl. 2

As a former JP2, I am ready to reclaim a seat on the bench in Place 2 to continue to serve the “People’s Court.” A resident of Pct. 2 for over 25 years to include Balcones Heights, I currently reside less than a mile from my former courtroom in Northwest Crossing.

Over the years I has served the County in numerous capacities as well as Precinct 2 to include teaching public school at all levels, serving as an adjunct instructor at two local colleges and a stint at the Bexar County Detention Center helping inmates earn a GED.

My community service includes a stint as President of the San Antonio Junior Chamber of Commerce dealing with shopping tours for orphans, overseeing fundraising for numerous other community events to assist the poor and needy.
I was an active member for years of the AFL-CIO to include serving as the President of the Harlandale ISD American Federation of Teachers.

Currently as a trained mediator, I mediate pro bono at the Bexar County Dispute Resolution Center at the Courthouse for those who can’t afford an attorney to resolve their legal issues. I believe that mediation experience offers me additional insight into the mindset and concerns of litigants in the courtroom.

My educational background includes attending grade school at St. Gregory’s Catholic School, a Bachelor’s Degree in English, and a Master’s Degree from the University of the Incarnate Word.

A Viet Nam Veteran with 30 years in the Army Reserve to include call up for Desert Storm at the Pentagon in public affairs with extensive journalism training, I write a weekly column for the bi-lingual newspaper La Prensa. 

My column “Just a Thought” is in its 4th year addressing Hispanic issues every Sunday. Two years previously, I wrote ”Ask the Judge” for La Prensa informing would be litigants on what to expect in the courtroom for their case.

As a family man of faith, I am married to Linda Walker, and a grandfather to Jesse and Nikki as well as Jimmy and Sam.

As a 4 term Councilman in Balcones Heights to include two stints as Mayor Pro Tem, I worked successfully with SAISD to ensure elementary students were assured of adequate transportation to school.

I am currently serving as the Judge Advocate for Audie Murphy American Legion Post 336 and a member of VFW Post 76.

I am excited to once again step up and return to the bench to ensure everyone who comes to JP court gets a fair hearing as they did when I was sitting on the bench from 2009-2012.

My greatest accomplishment on the bench in four years, -never being overturned by a higher court on appeal. I vow to continue to strive diligently in following the law to keep that record intact.

As a Judge who initiated a truancy program to redirect students back to the classroom to eventually receive a diploma or GED rather than punish them with community service and heavy fines, my program was instrumental in affecting legislature that passed to decriminalize truancy.

As the People’s Court Judge I will continue to treat those who enter the courtroom with compassion, fairness and the opportunity to present their case without being interrupted, rushed or intimidated by their surroundings.

Since the law does not require a Justice of the Peace to be an attorney, as a retired Teacher I bring years of expertise in common sense to the bench for good decisions that adhere to the law.

I ask fellow Democrats in the March 1st Primary to return me to the bench to continue to make a difference by casting their vote for Steve Walker, candidate for JP2 Place 2. 

Endorsed by Bexar County Tejano Democrats, Bexar County Young Democrats, Mexican American Democrats, Bexar County Probation Officers Association, & numerous individuals to include Civil Rights Activist Jaime Martinez, La Prensa Publisher Tino Duran & wife, Millie, radio personality Chris Duel, Yoli Arrellano, former SAISD Board President Dr. William Elizondo, former HISD Superintendent & Alamo Colleges Board Member Dr. Yvonne Katz, former Councilman & ACCD Board Member Joe Alderete &  wife, Chris, Dr. Robert Jimenez, Louie Escareno, former Councilman Roger Flores, former Tax Assessor Sylvia Romo, US Veterans Association President Delia Guajardo, Councilman Ray Lopez & former Councilman & former State Rep. Philip Cortez & Bob Comeaux.

No comments: