View My Stats

Friday, January 23, 2009

New Photos of the Inauguration from Washington D.C.



















L-R: Photos from the Mall on Inauguration Day by Fidel Delgado

Friends,
I had an opportunity to attend the inauguration of Barack Obama. Here are my impressions of this historic event along with some photos.

Fidel

Inauguration of the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama.

I went to the National Mall to attend the inauguration of Barack Obama. It was an incredible experience with over a million energized people in attendance. The atmosphere of the moment was historic, life changing and totally uplifting. People were so happy and overjoyed.

Today I felt very patriotic knowing that our country is moving in a more rational direction where our new leaders are truly thinking about the welfare of the country and about our image abroad. I feel good again about being an American. The past administration soiled our country’s principles of democracy, fair play and honesty. The change is so welcomed.

Let me back track a little as to how my day started. Initially I decided that I wanted to attend the inauguration and was determined to go on my bicycle. It isn’t such a big challenge since I go to work regularly by bike a distance of 28 miles per day. The challenge was the weather with the temperature at 24 degrees when I left home. I was well prepared for the trip and I had on triple layers of clothes while using my heaviest bike jacket. The north winds blowing in my face required an extreme effort. By the time I arrived at the Jefferson Memorial my water bottle had turned to solid ice. That’s cold. Burrrr!!

The Washington Area Bicycle Association (WABA) had a bicycle valet or a safe parking area for bicycles. I estimated that there were over 3,000 bicycles in the parking enclosures. It was a good service which made me feel secure about leaving my bike with WABA.

Now I will further describe the scene at the mall. There were so many people it was difficult to find a good location to observe the inauguration. Though it was crowded with people standing shoulder to shoulder, every one was polite. I walked around the Washington Monument trying to find a decent vantage point to view a jumbotron, one of the large screens which were set up. I picked a spot that gave me a view and I began to observe the program.

This event was really about people. What I witnessed was democracy in action and with purpose. The crowd was very diverse. I saw all races and nationalities represented. The most moving to observe were the African Americans. Some were in tears and they were members of the generation that walked with Martin Luther King. The MLK holiday was yesterday. I had a chance to talk with some and had a nice conversation with a family from Florida who traveled to Washington for this event. Equal in large numbers were Whites, Hispanics, and Asians. The throngs were a cross section of America . The other thing that I noticed was the large number of children of all ages.

I could feel human electricity super-charging the air. The feeling was like one’s emotional state after wining a superbowl or a national championship. There was a profound depth to emotions of happiness, elation and joy. I could see it in many people’s faces. The spectators became one in purpose like one people united in a common collective. The temperature was below freezing but I did not feel it. I don’t know whether the group energy kept me warm or the closeness of the crowd. I had succumbed to the moment and became one with the others.
.
On the giant screen Chief Justice Roberts administered the oath of office to Obama. At the completion of the swearing-in the masses were ecstatic. At that instant, I viewed a scene that is the most memorable from this inauguration. A small group of school children were standing together. At the announcement, two little girls (one black, one white) embraced each other and then holding hands they began spinning in a circle and jumping up and down. I was so amazed at the reaction of these two little girls. The two young ladies appeared to be around 10 or 9 years old. I’m not sure they fully understood the significance of the President being sworn in. The atmosphere was so charged it may have been their natural response to the emotional outpouring. I saw tears of joy, hugs of happiness, and shouts of “Obama!” I couldn’t help myself and yelled “Viva Obama!!”

Then Barack Obama started his acceptance speech. Everybody stopped and listened to his every word. His speech was magnificent and hit all the critical points and issues. There was a collective understanding and agreement. Obama’s speech included “We will harness the sun and the winds and the soil to fuel our cars and run our factories”. And we will transform our schools and colleges and universities to meet the demands of a new age. All this we can do. All this we will do.” This is exactly my line of work. I’m a proponent for the use of renewable energy for facilities. It’s so gratifying that our work is being acknowledged and will be fully supported by the government. I take these words to be my marching orders.

The return ride back to the house was easier since I was riding with the wind at my back and the sun had warmed the air. The bike trail was relatively empty for the most part. It’s the road less traveled. I arrived home tired but with a renewed spirit about my country. America is returning to its original values of democracy, decency and rule of law. I am personally inspired to do my part.

Fidel R. Delgado

January 20, 2009, Washington, D.C.

No comments: