View My Stats

Monday, December 18, 2006

2006-the year Governor Ann Richards passed away

Tributes to Ann Richards, (photo)


From the Archives of the Associated Press

“Ann Richards was the epitome of Texas politics: a figure larger than life who had a gift for captivating the public with her great wit. She was an endearing and enduring figure in Texas politics. She paved the way as a leader and a role model for women who aspire to the highest levels of leadership.”
-- Texas Gov. Rick Perry

"I had great respect for her willingness to serve. You never had to wonder where you stood with Ann, which I admired. I joined millions in laughing at the ‘silver foot’ comment, which doesn’t mean I wasn’t happy when she was defeated by our son a few years later. But that’s politics, and Ann was one of the best in that arena. Texas will miss her."
-- Former President George H.W. Bush

"Ann Richards was a quintessential Texan. She had enormous vision and phenomenal energy to implement the desire to do the greatest good for the greatest number and take that goal and make it into reality.”
-- Luci Baines Johnson, daughter of former President Lyndon Johnson

“With a sense of humor and a love of Texas, Ann Richards led our state through a time of economic growth, prosperity and opportunity for all. She gave Texas a lot, but perhaps her greatest gift was to help us all laugh at ourselves.”
-- U.S. Rep. Chet Edwards, D-Waco

“She had a political instinct. I wrote her a note when I heard about her cancer and she wrote me back a wonderful letter. She was upbeat and positive and I think she was going to go out with guns blazing. She's a person that never stopped enjoying whatever there was in life that she could enjoy.”
-- U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison

“As a woman and minority, she made me feel that I could walk through the halls of the Texas Capitol and feel like I belonged there. That will always be with me.”
-- Roxanne Evans, who worked for Richards as a deputy press secretary from 1994 to 1995


“The first thing she did was cut the shackles off the governor's house and opened it to the people of Texas.”
-- Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Houston

“She was just such a breath of fresh air to Texas politics and made such a difference for so many people. She was blunt, outspoken, incredibly smart and had a huge heart. They don't make them like that anymore.”
-- U.S. Rep. Charlie Gonzalez, D-San Antonio

“Like Texas, she was bigger than life. She still had so much to contribute. Her loss means that all of us who share her values must redouble our efforts. I will really miss her, to me she was a friend, neighbor, adviser and ally.”
-- U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Austin

“She set the table so somebody like me could become mayor of Dallas. I think her loss is going to be felt deeply because she connected with people on such a personal basis, but hopefully her life, her battles will be an inspiration for what we all can do in our lives.”
-- Former Dallas Mayor Ron Kirk

Editor's Note: As a Speech teacher in Harlandale ISD in 1998,I sent a letter to then Former Governor Richards inviting her to speak to my Public Speaking Class at McCollum High School.
During the Christmas holidays that year, she personally called me at home to thank me for the invitation, but graciously declined due to a hectic schedule.
At that time she promised me that when she retired, she would visit my class and speak to them. Unfortunately, I retired before she did.

No comments: