View My Stats

Monday, November 27, 2017

Just a Thought: More on Icon Alice Guerra in La Prensa, 11-26

Just a Thought: More on Icon Alice Guerra
by Steve Walker

Last week I sadly wrote about the passing of my longtime friend and boss on two different occasions, Alice Guerra on Veterans Day, November11th.

I wrote, “Besides working for her at her agency, GTO Advertising on Mulberry to utilize my journalistic credentials, she was a great boss. We started the day with prayer which I never experienced in any other job!”

Her viewing will be held November 30th from 7-9 p.m. at Cornerstone Church Chapel on Stone Oak and 1604. A Celebration of Life Service, December 1st at 10:30 a.m. will be held at Cornerstone Chapel. Interment will be held later that day at Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetery Shelter 2 off Harry Wurzbach Road at 1:15 p.m. Friends are encouraged to attend.

It suddenly impacts me as I reflect writing this column that I have written a number of local columns of a number of other San Antonio Hispanic Icons since 2015 for La Prensa.

Readers remember earlier this year in July the passing of La Prensa Publisher and longtime friend Tino Duran who allowed me the privilege to write a column for the past six years next month. I was blessed to write about him on more than one occasion to include his passing and attending his funeral. He was a godly man as well. I appreciated his attending the Balcones Heights Council meetings in the 90s when I served on the Council. What a great mentor.

Then there was La Prensa Assignments Editor Joe Sandoval, only a year younger than me who passed July 3rd in 2015 at 67 years old. In his media career and mine, we worked at some of the same places over the years, but not at the same time. Only at La Prensa did we finally work together. For me it was well worth it. He was a great journalist and great mentor as well.            

Choco Meza, a tireless activist for the local Democratic Party, passed away October 9th, 2016 after a short bout with cancer. She was coordinating the Hillary Clinton presidential campaign in San Antonio when she died at 64. Ironically she passed away just hours before the debate with Donald Trump. When she was the Bexar County Democratic Party Chair, she personally assisted me when I ran for Judge to ensure I filled out my forms correctly to get on the ballot.

Father Eddie Bernal, or as everyone with affection for him, called him “Father Eddie” suffered a fatal heart attack and passed away, May 29th at the age of 66 in 2016. On every encounter I would make sure I mentioned to him that “since you know God personally, please put in a good word for me.” He always responded “Got you covered!”

Then there is my recently departed friend and union activist Jaime Martinez. Alongside Jaime, I had marched with him on picket lines on SW Military Drive as well as the annual Cesar E. Chavez March for 20 years. He passed away from a long battle with cancer July 16th. He was two weeks older than me.

Alice’s children are obviously devastated by their mother’s death. They considered her their spiritual leader and matriarch and a devout Christian. The Cornerstone family is also grieving as well. Anyone who knew Alice knows her compassion, dedication and love of Jesus.

She will be sorely missed by all her friends and family. Thank you for being a true friend Alice, as well as Tino Duran, Choco Meza, Joe Sandoval, Father Eddie Bernal, and Jaime Martinez. Hopefully I won’t have to write another column about an Icon in San Antonio passing away. However I will if it unfortunately happens and not too soon if at all possible. Rest in Peace.

As always what I write is “Just a Thought.”

Steve Walker is a Vietnam Veteran and former Justice of the Peace and Journalist

No comments: