View My Stats

Sunday, December 08, 2013

"Just a Thought" Column continues in La Prensa of SA, 12-8


Just a Thought: Weddings I recall
By Steve Walker

Recently I had the opportunity to vividly reminisce down memory lane so to speak -- I was invited to conduct a wedding ceremony at Sunken Gardens for a friend’s sister and her fiancĂ©. This particular wedding brought to mind many others I have performed in the past when I was a Judge.

During those years I was blessed to perform my share of ceremonies for old and young alike. People of all colors, ethnic backgrounds, many who spoke more than one language walked into my court or booked some other venue to commit themselves to their new partner for life. Later I obtained my credentials as a wedding officiate and like this recent ceremony, I continue to perform weddings.

It was exciting and rewarding then and now to unite those embarking on a new adventure of marriage. 

The ceremony at Sunken Gardens drew a respectable crowd of family members and well wishers to peripherally include those who were visiting the gardens and passing by the private event under the Pavilion.

The gathering reminded me of the various and diverse weddings I officiated over. I was fortunate to be a part of wedding ceremonies all over Bexar County in some places you wouldn’t expect to participate in the festive event.

Of course some of the venues were highly popular selections such as Marriage Island downtown on the River Walk, Brackenridge Park and the adjacent Tea Gardens, the McNay Art Museum, and of course various restaurants, hotels and family homes to name a few.

I love Marriage Island because like the Sunken Gardens where people walked by, the barges would pass the Island during the ceremony and those in the boats would break out in cheers for the blushing bride and groom.

One of the most unique locations I performed a wedding was on the 18th hole of a Golf Course! The wedding party and I were transported to the final hole by golf cart no less. I kept expecting to be hit by a golf ball at any time since golfers were still playing through as the ceremony progressed! As luck would have it there were no casualties.

Some of the more plush venues I was involved in were at the Dominion, the 100 year old St. Anthony’s Hotel, historic Emily Morgan Hotel near Alamo Plaza, and the Marriott Hotels on 281 and 1604. I performed that wedding down the hill on the side of the hotel. They had a water fall close by and the ceremony was held in a lavishly decorated gazebo with a small string orchestra playing. Was that romantic or what?

The farthest I travelled away from Bexar County was to LBJ Country once to perform nuptials out in an obscure thicket where we had to park our cars and trek a ways through ranch land to get there. The bride and groom informed me that it was their special place in the entire world. Guess you can’t argue with that. It was at an isolated spot surrounded by a small grove of Live Oak. That was different.

Hopefully I will be allowed more opportunity to be involved in local marriage ceremonies as time goes on. Not only are they special to the participants but me as well. From my experience and participation over the past five years, sometimes unexpected outcomes become down right hilarious or poignant.

Next week I will share some of those stories that will make you laugh and cry in a good way.

And as always, what I write is “Just a Thought.”

Steve Walker is a Vietnam Veteran and former Justice of the Peace and Journalist.

No comments: