View My Stats

Sunday, July 15, 2012

"Ask the Judge" column continues in La Prensa of SA, 7-15

Ask the Judge: A Pre-K student’s success story
By Judge Steve Walker

For the past 72 Sunday’s, “Ask the Judge” columns have covered every conceivable aspect of the Justice of the Peace Courts from truancy, evictions, small claims, disorderly students, traffic tickets to a three part series on how to appear on the Judge Judy Show on NBC.

“Ask the Judge” has even featured some of the crazy comments made in the court that makes you want to say, “huh” or “what the?”

Today the column relates a success story starring little 5-year-old Pre-K student Jayzee. (Not her real name for the obvious reasons)

Recently little “Jayzee” entered my court with her father who was charged with contributing to the failure of his daughter attending school.

By law, once a student is enrolled in school, from that point until they walk the stage with a high school diploma or earn a GED, they are mandated to attend school or face a truancy charge.

Middle school students and high school students are charged with failure to attend school when they skip classes, and their parents with contributing to their failure to attend. We hold both of them accountable.

When the student attends elementary school, only the parent is charged. 1st graders don’t skip school. It is parents who for whatever reason don’t take their children to school or turn in their doctor’s notes when they are sick.

When Jayzee and her father approached the bench after their names were called, I said, “hello” to little Jayzee. As a retired teacher with a few years in elementary school, I can’t resist from interacting with the little ones.

I asked her, “What is your name?” She replied, “Jayzee, Judge.” I was impressed that she addressed me as “Judge.” I then inquired how she was doing. Her response to me surprised me. “Not so well. I have missed lots of school, but now my daddy takes me everyday!”

I said, “You are a smart little girl.” Then in a joking manner I continued, “Have you ever thought about going to law school?” She looked at me, started laughing and responded with, “Are you kidding? I don’t think so!”

Needless to say she became an instant hit with all those present in the court who burst out laughing.

It turns out the father was a single parent since she was six months old. After the man explained that he had relied on neighbors and relatives to take her to school because of his work schedule, he reported that he changed his work schedule so he could ensure she got to school on time.

The attendance officer recommended that we bring him back at the end of the school year to check her attendance. We determined that if he successfully ensured his daughter show up to school on time for the rest of the school year, we would dismiss the case.

When she left with her father, I said, “See you later Jayzee.” She smiled, waived and responded as she left the court, “See you later Judge.”

Two weeks later she was back in court with her father. When I recognized her in the front row, I said “Hello Jayzee how are you doing.” How could I not remember sweet little Jayzee?

She stood up in the first row, crossed her arms across her chest and blurted out, “I graduated from Pre-K yesterday and I have a diploma!”

That elicited lots of laughter in the courtroom. I said, “Congratulations Jayzee. Are you sure you don’t want to go to law school?” She smiled and responded, “I don’t think so.” Again more laughter in the courtroom erupted.

I then announced, “Ladies and Gentlemen we have a graduate. Give Jayzee a round of applause.” The applause was thundering. She beamed a big smile and as she left waiving, she said, “See you later Judge!”

After she left my words to all in the courtroom were, “If little Jayzee can receive a diploma from Pre-K, you all can get a diploma and walk the stage. Go back go school.”

Success stories do happen on occasion. Sometimes more thank you think. I believe Jayzee’s story was a success story. It inspired me for sure. 

Lastly as always, if you are due in court, be sure to show up to court on time. It is in everyone’s best interest.

Justice of the Peace, Pct. 2 Steve Walker is a Vietnam Veteran and a former Journalist.

No comments: