View My Stats

Sunday, July 10, 2011

This week's "Ask the Judge" Column in La Prensa, 7-10






Ask the Judge: Mandated Tutoring for Truancy
By Judge Steve Walker

Effective September 1st a law passed by the state legislature in this past session provides a new tool for Justices of the Peace to combat truancy and disorderly students.

As a Judge I will be able to mandate tutoring along with or in lieu of community service for students who skip school or get involved in fights at school or disrupt class.

The law is a “May” and not a “Shall” which means as a Judge I have the discretion to use or not use the tool in whatever situation comes up during the court appearance of the student and his/her parent.

In Precinct 2, most students in my court will be mandated to attend at least 8 hours of tutoring at their campus, normally in their weakest subject at the recommendation of the attendance officer. However, in my court, I will allow the student or parent to offer input into what subject the student will receive their tutoring.

As a former teacher I realize that when the student, parent, attendance officer and I as Judge come to agreement on the remedy for truancy and disorderly behavior the outcome is usually more positive.

It will allow the student to overcome his/her mistakes and he/she will be able to move on and earn credits and eventually complete the high school curriculum and graduate with a high school diploma.

Currently in my court, students are already instructed to obtain a Public Library Card, read a book and write a two-sided book report on the book they chose to read as part of their court mandated requirements during their probation time.

As the Justice of the Peace in Pct. 2, I believe that the new tutoring option naturally reinforces my program of mandating students read a book and allows the student to be more focused on academic remedies for their unacceptable behavior than punitive actions.

Lastly as always, if you are due in court, be sure to show up to court on time. It is in everyone’s best interest.

Justice of the Peace, Pct. 2 Steve Walker is a Vietnam Veteran and a former Journalist.

No comments: