View My Stats

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison may leave Senate in 2009


Kay Bailey Hutchison (photo)
may leave U.S. Senate in 2009
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau

Austin — U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, in a magazine interview, said she won't seek re-election in 2012 and may resign from the Senate as early as 2009.

But she still won't say whether she will run for governor in 2010, when many political observers expect her fellow Republican, Gov. Rick Perry, not to seek another term.

Hutchison, first elected to the Senate in a special election in 1993 and re-elected to a third full term last year, had previously hinted that she may not seek another term in 2012.

In an interview with Texas Monthly editor Evan Smith, she seemed to more clearly rule out another re-election race. Excerpts from the interview were posted on Smith's blog. Noting that her term would be up in 2012, Hutchison said, "I would not run for re-election."

"Is it better for Texas for me to leave early and give someone else a chance to start building seniority before the (Senate) class of 2013? I think it probably is," she continued. "Plus, I'm really humbled by the number of people who believe we need leadership in Texas that I can provide. And there's not anyone who could really make a case to me that this would be divisive for the Republican Party in a way that would make me step back."

Although the latter comments seemed to hint again at a gubernatorial race, the senator wouldn't confirm that possibility in the magazine interview. "I haven't made a commitment in any way because it's just too early. It's too early to be gearing up," she said.

"I don't want to peak in 2007 for a 2010 race. Would I like to do it? Yes. A lot of things have to happen to make it a reality. You can't plan that far ahead with certainty." Asked if she may leave the Senate as early as 2009, she replied: "I think that has to be considered. But there's been no decision."

A spokesman for the senator confirmed her comments, but Hutchison was unavailable for further elaboration.

Perry hasn't said what he will do in 2010. Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, meanwhile, also is considering a race for the Republican gubernatorial nomination then. Hutchison said she hadn't discussed the subject with Dewhurst.

No comments: