View My Stats

Saturday, May 16, 2020

"A few Joyce Words" by longtime Bexar County Democrat (90)

A Few Joyce Words 
By Joyce Dorrycott (90 yrs old)

Such a short time since I wrote the March newsletter, but the world seems to have turned upside down. My world has become much smaller for I have been practicing the “stay at home doctrine”. Days have been filled with knitting, crocheting and most of all watching the news. 

By now, most of you know that I am a “follow the news every day, all day” person. Over that time, I often heard the coronavirus time compared as the worst since World War II. As I thought about that comparison, I thought back over my life. Many of you know that I am a child of the Great Depression and lived through all the wars that have followed, including WWII. The years of the war were times I remember as the days when this country became extremely close. 

This was Our country. We had been attacked by Japan on Sunday, December 7, 1941, and then we declared war on Japan and the Axis Powers on December 8. Throughout the next years we were blessed with a strong, positive leader, President Franklin D. Roosevelt. He had been elected four times (1932, 1936, 1940, 1944) and had he not died on April 12, 1945, could have probably been elected again.

Many of the laws we have today that provide for working people, beginning with Social Security, we have because of him. Harry Truman followed Roosevelt in 1945 and was also a strong, positive leader. Today we have Donald Trump. See the difference? There are many other comparisons and innumerable contrasts, but they all end the same way. Trump and the party and support he has created do not provide the same confidence in the future that we had in the 1940s in the middle of a world war. 

The majority of Americans do not support this president, his view of America, or his handling of this pandemic. Continued on next page. Looking toward the future, we need to get about the business of electing Joe Biden. While he is not perfect, he will be a good president. So, when we call upon you, please help every time you can. Our plan is not completed yet, but we do know we will all be needed. Thank you for all the cards, calls, texts for my 90th birthday. It seems like only yesterday that I was a good-looking gal, running through the cotton fields of Alabama. 

No comments: