View My Stats

Monday, August 14, 2017

Just a Thought: Passing of 6 Hispanic Icons of SA in La Prensa, 8-13

 Father Eddie Bernal, Jaime Martinez, Tino Duran, Joe Sandoval, Choco Meza

Just a Thought: Passing of 6 Hispanic Icons of SA
By Steve Walker

Choco Meza, a tireless activist for the local Democratic Party, passed away quietly, Sunday, October 9th, 2016, after a short bout with cancer. She was coordinating the Hillary Clinton presidential campaign in San Antonio when she died. Ironically she passed away just hours before the second presidential debate with Republican Donald Trump in St. Louis.

As one who has known her for years, I was devastated to hear that she died of liver cancer. Her husband Daniel was my realtor when I rented my house out to renters. When she was the Bexar County Democratic Party Chair, she personally assisted me when I ran for Judge to ensure I filled out my forms correctly to get on the ballot. I also took numerous photos of her as Party Chair and as the coordinator of the Hillary campaign in Bexar County. 

Edward Bernal was affectionately known to most people in San Antonio as “Father Eddie.” He suffered a fatal heart attack and passed away, May 29th 2016 at the age of 66. He attended St. Ann's Catholic School, St. Paul's Catholic School, Holy Cross High School, Jefferson High School, St. Mary's University, and the Oblate School of Theology.

Ordained in 1987, he served as Pastor of St. Matthews, St. John Berchman, St. Leo’s and St. Benedict’s Catholic Churches. His last 13 years were at St. Benedict’s. Since 2007, I have been taking his photo at various events throughout San Antonio. In all that time, every time I encountered him, he always had a smile on his face, was funny, jovial and uplifting.

On every encounter I would make sure I mentioned to him that “since you know God personally, please put in a good word for me.” We would laugh as he promised he would certainly do so. The last time I saw him April 21st at a Fiesta event, I started to remind him to put in a good word with God for me, and before I could actually say it, he interjected, “I know, I got you covered,” laughing as he said it. He was that kind of guy.

La Prensa editor Joe Sandoval was one of the Hispanic icons of San Antonio that I had the privilege of personally knowing and interacting with on an ongoing basis. Joe passed away June 18th of 2015.

Only a year younger than me, my friend Joe was only 67. In his media career and mine, we worked at some of the same places over the years, but not at the same time. Only at La Prensa for nearly five years did we finally work together. For me it was well worth it. He was a great journalist and great mentor as well.

Since both of us served in Viet Nam, we had much in common besides journalism. He graduated from John KennedyJ High School in Edgewood ISD in 1967.  I taught in Edgewood ISD 1980-81 at La Memorial High School.

Joe worked for a number of years as a reporter and finally Assignments Editor at La Prensa. He previously worked at News Radio 1200 WOAI in the late 1980s and at KTSA.  He had also served as Camera Assignment's Editor in the 1990s at KENS-5 TV where I worked as a reporter in 1982.

We both did a stint at KONO Radio as well, again at different times.
In 2014 we both joined the Retired Radio Broadcasters group that met monthly to share old war stories and reminisce about the good old days. We were also members of the San Antonio Association of Hispanic Journalists, (SAAHJ) as well. He was one of the earliest presidents of the organization.

Then there is La Prensa Publisher Tino Duran who recently passed away, June 25th at the age of 82. Tino is responsible for me being able to write a column for the past 6 ½ years. Since he knew I previously been a reporter for the Express-news and a reporter for KENS 5 he allowed me to write for La Prensa. Indeed an honorable and spiritual man. The procession of mourners for his funeral at Ft. Sam Houston included over 50 vehicles winding down many streets with police holding up traffic as well as re-directing traffic. He will be greatly missed by many.

A compadre of Cesar Chavez, there is activist Jaime Martinez who I have walked picket lines with over the years. One picket line included protesting a grocery store on Military Drive pertaining to fruit. I have marched with him for 21 years in the Cesar Chavez March. It has only been since July 20th since he was buried. He was only 8 days older than me and a great friend.

I met Oscar Zaldivar when I joined the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce aka San Antonio Jaycees in the late 70s. For those who might remember, the Jaycees were a non-profit organization of young men who sponsored La Semana Allegre, the Annual Orphan Shopping Tour and numerous of other community projects to help the community. Years later they changed the by-laws to accept women as members and not just affiliates.

Oscar and I, along with 600+ members at any given time participated in those events for over seven years since there was an age limit of 35 to be an active member. We called it aging out. That is why we were called Junior Chamber which was created in the 1920s. We both served as President of the Jaycees. He was the first Hispanic President. He died a month shy of turning 70.  Had I attended Central Catholic in the 60s he would have been my classmate. He along with Joe, Father Eddie, Choco, Tino and Jaime, will all be sorely missed.

As always, I write just a thought.

Steve Walker is a Viet Nam Veteran, former Journalist and Justice of the Peace.

No comments: