View My Stats

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Candidate Jay Brandon for Judge of Court of Criminal Appeals

A trial in a criminal case should be straightforward: the State charges someone with a crime and puts on evidence to prove his guilt.  Criminal appeals can be more complicated, such as when a court interprets a new statute for the first time.  Opinions in criminal appeals are guides for trial lawyers all over Texas to follow.  

So opinions should be clear, concise, and well-reasoned.  Having worked in criminal appeals for thirty years, I have the experience and the skills to write such opinions.  I began my legal career at the Court of Criminal Appeals, working for two different judges doing research and writing.  

I have since worked on hundreds of criminal appeals, on both sides, but primarily representing the State.  I have written many briefs and presented oral arguments to the Court of Criminal Appeals and other appellate courts.  I have also written and argued writs, a more complicated type of appeal, in death penalty cases.  

The Court of Criminal Appeals has exclusive jurisdiction over death penalty cases in Texas.

Appellate judges have the responsibility of interpreting the law, not making it.  I have more experience than any other candidate in doing exactly the type of work the judges of that Court do.  As the author of many published novels, I also have the writing skills to write those clear, well-reasoned opinions the trial courts of Texas need to make sure cases are tried properly.  Finally, I have the judicial philosophy needed on the highest criminal court in Texas.

Jay Brandon jaybrandonforjudge.org.
Judicial candidate

No comments: