View My Stats

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

West SA Chamber CEO Gabe Farias to run for State. Rep. 118

 State Rep. Joe Farias, D-San Antonio, submitted a letter of resignation to Gov. Greg Abbott on Monday, officially ending a decade-long career as a state lawmaker and prompting the need for a special election to fill his House District 118 seat.

Farias had already announced he would not be seeking re-election after serving five terms in the Texas House, but had left open the question about whether he would complete his term, which has a year and a half remaining.

In a statement, Farias said Monday he made the decision not to fill the rest of his term after talking with his wife, Angie, and hopes to "enjoy more time with my family who've always been most important to me, but often not prioritized."
"I am forever grateful to the constituents of District 118 tor giving me the privilege to serve them for the past 10 years. It has been an honor to work alongside my colleagues and help build a better Texas," Farias wrote in a short letter to Abbott. "Along with my wife Angie I want to thank everyone for making my time in the legislature unforgettable."

Abbott will now have to set a special election to fill the vacant House seat.
Farias' son, Gabe, told the Express-News on Monday he's officially jumping in the race to succeed his father. 

"I'm just truly inspired by the service of my father, not just his time in the Texas House but throughout his professional career," said Gabe Farias, who serves as the president of the West San Antonio Chamber of Commerce. "I'm ready to step in those shoes and continue with the great service he's done for the community."

"One thing we definitely know," Gabe Farias quipped, "is which Farias is going on the be ballot."

mySA

No comments: