View My Stats

Thursday, March 07, 2013

Remembering Gov. Ann Richards during Women's History Month

Celebrating Women's History Month, we remember Ann Richards. Dorothy Ann Willis Richards (September 1, 1933 – September 13, 2006) was an American politician and... the 45th Governor of Texas.

Two years before she was elected governor of Texas, Ann Richards electrified the 1988 Democratic National Convention with a keynote speech in which she joked that the Republican presidential nominee, George H.W. Bush, had been "born with a silver foot in his mouth."

Born in Lakeview, Texas, in 1933, Richards grew up near Waco, married civil rights lawyer David Richards and spent her early adulthood volunteering in campaigns and raising four children. She often said the hardest job she ever had was as a public school teacher at Fulmore Junior High School in Austin.

In the early 1960s, she helped form the North Dallas Democratic Women, "basically to allow us to have something substantive to do; the regular Democratic Party and its organization was run by men who looked on women as little more than machine parts."

A longtime champion of women and minorities in government who was serving at the time as Texas state treasurer, she won cheers when she reminded delegates that Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, "only backwards and in high heels."

A homemaker before she entered politics, Richards cracked a half-century male grip on the governor's mansion and celebrated by holding up a T-shirt that showed the state Capitol and read: "A woman's place is in the dome."

She told an interviewer shortly before leaving office, "I did not want my tombstone to read, 'She kept a really clean house.' I think I'd like them to remember me by saying, 'She opened government to everyone.' "

As governor, Richards appointed the first black University of Texas regent, the first crime victim on the state Criminal Justice Board, the first disabled person on the human services board and the first teacher to lead the State Board of Education. Under Richards, the fabled Texas Rangers pinned stars on their first black and female officers.


Editor's Note: In the 90s after the Governor left the Governor's mansion, I called her to come speak to my Public Speaking class of students @ McCollum High School in HISD. She returned my call on a speaker phone. I said 'hello." She answered in her twang, "Is this Steve Walker."  I anwered in the affirmative. She told me she was a working woman and she would eventually come when she finished being a working woman. Some time later I met her at a politicial event and reminded her of our conversation. She remembered the conversation. By then I was no longer teaching. It was an experience.

No comments: