View My Stats

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Message from State Sen. Leticia van de Putte

Life with Sen. Leticia van de Putte (photo)

As the year comes to a close, I am truly thankful for the many blessings I've encountered in 2010. I am extremely grateful for my beloved family, great health, and many constant friends. I have been deeply honored to represent District 26 in the State Legislature and I look forward to continuing my fifth term in the Texas Senate on January 11, 2011.

Over the past few weeks, I have been struck on several occasions by examples of the generosity, motivation, and character of many people who make San Antonio an extraordinary city. Community investment in our city is growing and I am pleased to see passion for the arts, education, and economic development flourish.

Last week, I had the privilege of addressing a group of generous donors and community partners who attended the San Antonio Housing Authority Education Investment Foundation luncheon. As the keynote speaker, I was proud to participate in this program. The Education Investment Foundation encourages children, whose families participate in our public housing or Section 8 programs, to build their futures through education.


Since 1998, the Education Investment Foundation has provided 346 students with $519,000 in college scholarships and 1,634 youth with $66,460 for perfect attendance. One example of the remarkable students the Education Investment Foundation has helped is Carlos Torres. Although Carlos grew up in Section 8 housing and encountered a difficult childhood upbringing, he was determined to become the first in his family to graduate from college.

With the help of the Education Investment Foundation, Carlos reached his dream and graduated from Texas A&M University-San Antonio. His determination and commitment, coupled with assistance from the Education Investment Foundation, aided him in becoming a first-generation college student who will make a difference in our community.

No comments: