View My Stats

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Radio Icon Bruce Hathaway passed away early yesterday, 1-27

Photo by Sonny Melendrez
 Radio Icon Bruce Hathaway has passed dying of a heart attack Friday at Metropolitan Methodist Hospital. He was 78. More info coming later.

Sonny Melendrez tribute: "So sorry to hear about the loss of our dear radio friend and legend, Bruce Hathaway. You could not find a kinder human being.

"I grew up listening to him, as he inspired me and many others to follow our radio dream. To work with him at KTSA and KTFM was a dream come true. His voice and kind heart touched us all. This picture is worth a thousand dreams...

"I was about 12 years old when I became a fan of Bruce Hathaway on KTSA Radio and was inspired to take to the airwaves one day. Each night, listening to my transistor under the pillow, I would dream of "being on the radio".

"Bruce Hathaway and others like him, cleared the path for dreamers like me who were born to broadcast.

"Moreover, his kind friendship has taught us all that "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!"

"Little did I know that one day, my childhood idol and I would share inductions in the Texas Radio Hall of Fame.

"A radio dream come true. May he rest in peace."

Columnist Jeanne Jakle noted, "Bruce Hathaway was a giant in S.A. radio for multiple decades, most notably in the '60s, '70s and '80s. He also was a class act and a true gentleman."  Black & White from Jeanne Jakle

No comments: