View My Stats

Sunday, July 26, 2015

"Just a Thought" Column continues in La Prensa of SA, 7-26

Just a Thought: Gabe Quintanilla aka “Superman”
By Steve Walker

San Antonio is the home town of numerous Hispanic leaders and icons whose major contributions have made our city a better place to live as well as the nation over the years.

In past columns I have written about a number of them to include familiar names such as Mayor Henry Cisneros who set the tone in the early 80s by becoming the first Hispanic Mayor of San Antonio since 1842 and later HUD Secretary under President Bill Clinton.

Since he paved the way for other Hispanic Mayors, we have since elected Ed Garza, currently serving as SAISD Board President Julian Castro now Secretary of HUD. All contribute to the continuing success of the Alamo City. Another local Hispanic icon I have written about in my weekly column includes international singing sensation Patsy Torres, PhD.

She is also a motivational speaker encouraging young Hispanic women to follow their dream of success like she did whether it be in music, science, medicine or other fields of their choosing.

Others include: Former Congressman Charlie Gonzalez, Former Councilwoman Maria Berriozabal, and long-time activist Rosa Rosales, a well-known champion for immigration reform and Latino issues.

This week I write about my long-time buddy Gabe Quintanilla aka “Superman” who I have known for over twenty years. I first met the 1983 St. Mary’s Law School graduate in the mid 90’s when he served as a magistrate judge with the city with the nickname “the hammer.”

Obviously he has been given more than one nickname over the years. I recall him serving two terms as the Bexar County Democratic Party Chair. He contributed greatly by ensuring the Party had access to updated modern technology and instilling a new found confidence in the local party.

One of Gabe’s special talents is his expertise with a camera. As a photographer he has helped me considerably in refining my photography skills in hosting a photo blog aka walkerreport.net. On numerous occasions I have posted many of his photos of events that I was unable to cover.

He takes excellent photos. As long as I have known Gabe, he has been devoted to his now 93-year-old mother. This past Mother’s Day he wrote a column entitled “How to love your mother--a primer on Mother’s Day, 2015.

”In it he wrote in part: “Yes—it is Mother’s Day. It is a great day. I remember my first year in law school. It was close to exams in 1981. I had never missed a Mother’s Day in my life. I was a young law student at the University of Texas at Austin.

“I had called my mother early that morning and explained that I sent her a card in the mail, but because exams were right around the corner, I could not come home this year to spend Mother’s Day with her. Mom was very understanding. She knew that I took my studies very seriously. She told me to work hard and she will see me after my finals were over.”

He went on to note hearing a song about a young boy who bought flowers to put on his mother’s grave. “I have remembered that song my entire life. It taught me a great lesson as well. After spending years taking care of my 93 year old mother, I can safely say that mother’s don’t necessarily yearn for material items from their children. It is your presence.

“That’s what a mother wants, more than anything else. Feeling your arms around her neck and hearing your voice on a phone. If your mother is anything like mine, then she probably enjoys the simple things in life.”

I can relate to Gabe as we have many similarities growing up. He graduated from Law School at The University of Texas at Austin--one of the most prestigious schools in the nation.

I graduated from Texas Wesleyan University in Ft. Worth that later added on a law school. Both of us were told we didn’t have what it took. He served as Editor in Chief at one of the Law Reviews at UT Law School while I was the sports editor of my college yearbook my junior year.

He became an Attorney and Judge, I became a Justice of the Peace as A non- lawyer. He heard cases in all levels of state and federal court and the Texas Supreme Court, the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans and the United States Supreme Court.

Living in San Antonio amongst so many local Hispanic icons is exciting for me. We have a rich Hispanic heritage in San Antonio that we can be proud of with so many qualified leaders leading us into the future. I am honored that I am able to write about them from personal experience to include my friend, Gabe Quintanilla who is making a difference.

And as always, I write “Just a Thought.”

Steve Walker is a Vietnam Veteran, former Judge and Journalist

No comments: