View My Stats

Sunday, May 19, 2013

"Just a Thought" continues in La Prensa of SA, 5-19

Just a Thought: Former Senator Joe Bernal
By Steve Walker

Last week I wrote about Senator Leticia van de Putte as Governor for a Day and how she was the first Latina to become Governor even if it was for only a day. It was a joyous and exciting day. Sadly two days later one of her grand children Rex passed away. Our prayers are with her.

This week we look at another Hispanic Icon who along with Senator van de Putte has contributed much to our community. Interestingly she occupies the same Senator’s chair who was only the second Hispanic Senator, elected to the legislature. That was Senator (Dr.) Joe Bernal. Henry B. Gonzalez was the first.

When I returned from Vietnam & Germany in 1972 Senator Bernal had already stepped down as Senator in my area in 1971. However I met him in 1974 when I attended my first Democratic State Convention that nominated and re-elected Governor Dolph Briscoe to a four year term. Up until then the Governor’s term was for only two years.

He was so helpful to me at that convention and even though he was no longer an elected official he was still reaching out helping people and guiding them in the right direction. That has not changed to this day. I learned so much from him just at that convention. I wanted to be on the credentials committee and he without hesitation assisted me in securing a slot on that committee. He was a wealth of knowledge in maneuvering the political waters to achieve success.

Through out the years as a Democrat he was always around to answer my questions and offer good advice. As a Democratic activist he always fought for the little guy, Hispanic or non-Hispanic, even now that he has retired.

Former Houston Mayor Bill White who ran unsuccessfully for Governor in 2010, says he remembers the Senator fondly when he was an Eisenhower Junior High School seventh grader who served as a page for him in 1967. I was junior in college that year.

The Senator’s history shows he has always championed the interests of minorities, the elderly and the disadvantaged. I have seen that first hand over the years.

Ironically in the early nineties when I taught in Harlandale ISD, he was one of my Assistant Superintendents and I was able to see him on a regular basis since he was one of my bosses! Even then he was good to me.

A couple of years ago I was invited and attended an American GI Forum committee meeting at Estela’s Mexican Restaurant. A very active and longtime member of that organization, the Senator was sitting there in the middle of it.

After those of us who were attending for the first time were asked to stand up and introduce ourselves, I jokingly mentioned I was the only white guy at the meeting. He laughed and said, “Sit down Walker, you are already an honorary Mexican!”

That brought a wave of laughter from the crowd. I felt right at home with Senator Joe Bernal. The final stamp of approval for me came from him when he endorsed me in my campaign for Justice of the Peace.

Anyway, as always, what I write is “Just a Thought.”

Steve Walker is a Vietnam Veteran and former Justice of the Peace and Journalist. His column “Ask the Judge” column ran in La Prensa for the last two years.

No comments: